Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Tangled Mess

So much to blog about! I've been super busy with school. I had four papers due last week - and it was the first week! I'm taking a slight break from school tomorrow - to hopefully pack and shop for our camping trip, try to surprise Steve with a date night (crossing fingers that the sitter is available), and maybe get some biking and knitting in. Then I'll drudge back to cleaning and school work. Don't let me fool you though, I love being back in school.


We lowered our gas again! Don't let the sign fool you, this picture was taken while we were changing the prices. Our regular unleaded (87) is now only $2.29 a gallon and our E-85 is $2.18 a gallon. Keep checking in with my blog, because there is going to be an AMAZING community outreach at the end of November. Unlike anything we've ever had at our store that I am just super super excited about. Also, Papau's prediction is - that by the end of the month, we just might be at or maybe even under $2 a gallon. Just a few short months ago, we were in the low to mid four dollars a gallon. It's amazing how quickly it's dropping.

I voted! i tried a couple of times to go to Early Voting here in Vegas, but each time the line was INSANELY long. Of course, 50% of the votes came from Early Voting - so that explains the lines. Which left me to vote on Election Day. There was something corny and exciting about doing so. I was terrified of long lines, but was able to walk right in and vote. It was excellent. However, I was surprised by my sudden moral issues that came with voting. I've never been a "pro-life" advocate in the sense that I wish to make abortion illegal. Obviously, I am for all life and disagree with both abortion and the death penalty due to my reading of the Bible, but never wish to impose my religious beliefs on other who do not share them. However, upon understanding the Mr. Obama did not only support a woman's choice to choose but also advocated partial birth/late term abortions and actually voted to legislate that babies who survive abortions to be killed made me physically ill.

But Obama's record on abortion is extreme. He opposed the ban on partial-birth abortion -- a practice a fellow Democrat, the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, once called "too close to infanticide." Obama strongly criticized the Supreme Court decision upholding the partial-birth ban. In the Illinois state Senate, he opposed a bill similar to the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, which prevents the killing of infants mistakenly left alive by abortion. And now Obama has oddly claimed that he would not want his daughters to be "punished with a baby" because of a crisis pregnancy -- hardly a welcoming attitude toward new life.

I am a registered Democrat who believes in the values of the party, I really like President Elect Obama - but as I stood in that poll, I realized I could not vote for someone who murdered babies. Not just babies that I believe are babies because of my religion, but full blown BORN - late term babies. However, I could not vote for McCain or Alaska Barbie either. McCain was an amazing candidate, but I just didn't want to risk another four years of the last 8 years. So I voted for someone we discussed at our Potluck and Politics gathering at a former ward member's house. A Libertarian of all things. I am a little nervous about Democrats (regardless that I AM one of course) having so much power in the House, Senate, and now White House. There are supposed to be a thing called checks and balances. As much as I like Obama, I also worry about the "catch". Nothing is this good, you know? Something is wrong here, and I'm not quite sure what. I am extremly happy Republicans no longer have control of this country. Thank you God.

On Rav, we did a swap and I got my package today. I was so super excited. It felt like Christmas and I cannot wait for the next one. I am already planning it out.


School has been flying by this past week. I have got to work on getting a schedule and doing some time management. I've been literally exhausted since school began - writing papers, posting to threaded discussions and doing my reading assignments. I cannot wait for a break tomorrow. I'm hoping to go see Fireproof. Not a movie I originally wanted to see as it has Kirk Cameron in it and faith based movies tend to be more corny than good. However, after viewing the trailer for it, I am hooked.




1 comment:

The Bass Player's Wife said...

Fireproof was pretty typical of Christian movie fare, but an improvement over Facing the Giants. This felt more like an episode of Seventh Heaven. The story is compelling though.