Thursday, May 22, 2008

JJ Abrams and Imagination


Can JJ Abrams touch anything and it not be good? The creator of Felicity (okay, I've never seen more than the first season so this one's up in the air), Alias, LOST, and Cloverfield to name a few - this man is a genius! Steve and I were just talking last night - can you imagine a movie combining JJ Abrams and M. Night Shyamalan combined forces for a movie? I'd have died and gone to heaven.

Steve and I have been watching Alias on DVD and am totally fans now. We're ready for Season 5 (the last season). During season four's finale, they had a totally zombie/Resident Evil deal going on. Which I loved since I've been in a total zombie funk for almost a year now (my longest running funk to date). Although, I am in no hurry to see Zombie Strippers - really who thinks of some of these movies?

I also saw last night that JJ Abrams has a new TV series coming out in the Fall. Cannot wait to see the fall line up - hopefully the return of Heroes, Survivor, and new LOST episodes (anyone else panicking that next week is the season finale?!)

The mail should be bringing Season 5 of Alias any day now - thank you Blockbuster online. :) But until then, I'll have to suffer through the rest of this week - no Alias, no Survivor, and no LOST. And - no Office. What's a girl to do?

I checked out The Lord of the Rings (The Fellowship of the Ring) today. I saw it in theaters, but we went to a late showing and fell asleep during the movie. It kind of left me with a not so pleasant outlook on the movie, but after seeing some clips from the movie on YouTube (don't even know why I was watching it) I decided to check it out again. What's with this total movie funk I'm in? Now I've got to go back to the video store and check out the other two movies - even though I totally know what's going to happen (Frodo saves the day in the end and Strider/Aragon becomes king) I want to see it all over again. I'll admit - there was quite the bit of fast forwarding - I'm not a man, all those fight scenes bore me. Went to Prince Caspian with a girlfriend earlier this week. Loved it.

And of course, I balanced all these Christian inspired movies with checking out The Golden Compass - finally on DVD! For sure going on my Amazon list. Paul loved the movie too (we did of course FF through a couple of scenes that I felt were inappropriate when we viewed it in the theater). Watching the movie again, was really refreshing and reminded me of how power can corrupt people. The Christian movement is littered with bad history - from witch trials to Inquisitions. Of course, none of these things are Jesus' fault, obviously we're all fallen human beings who sin - and as such do ungodly things. But even when Christians aren't committing crimes in the name of God, even when they're just being rude, unfriendly, or exclusive to those who don't fit the Christian "mold" - whatever that is for them - it really brings to mind David Archuleta's performance of John Lennon's Imagine. I think the longer I stay in this whole religion mess, the more I dislike it. What a wonderful world it would be - if there were no religion.

No comments: