Monday, April 21, 2008

Two sides of the mouth


I hate working Sundays. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I hate the people that come in on Sundays, who are ironically Christians! It's the Christians who are the most ill behaved people. I just cringe and literally bite my tongue when they come in - bright crosses and sharp Sunday clothes. On these days - it's really hard for me to think about grace when all I can think is, "You need to live at church and never come out."

Yesterday was hard for me since I had been sick all day Saturday and really wasn't feeling that well but had to go in. I just had to make it through one shift - that's what I kept telling myself, with my bucket nearby. :P

As always, a personal pet peeve of mine was rampant.There is one cashier that means there is one line. Now, ever since kindergarten we have been practicing this - one line, one behind the other. Wow - even my two and three year old can do that, but adults - totally over their heads. :/

And as usual, there was one cashier (me), there was supposed to be one line - but there wasn't. There were like five. As usual I said, "Please form a single file line so I can help you at your turn," and of course there were smart remarks. Egh.

But what really stood out was this Christian woman who didn't think she had to stand in a line, just wait at the counter while her daughter shopped. How did I know she was a Christian? Was it her clothes? Was she wearing a cross? Nope, she was proselytizing. Proselytizing right there in my store. Okay, I don't heisitate to do the same - when asked. But as I'm ringing customers up and see beer say, "You know Jesus can fill that emptiness in you better than this 12 pack."

However, that's what this woman was doing. She'd see the beer and begin proselytizing the customers, "Honey, you don't need that. You just need Jesus." They'd politely smile at her and say, "Thanks though, this is more fun." Now sure this is a wide open discussion if they expressed interest but the woman kept on going, "Church is fun. Wanna come with me?" And kept on and on and on to the customers in my line. I was trying to think of a polite way to say, "Ma'm, there's no proselytizing allowed at this store."

And as I was thinking about how best to say this, she began barking at her daughter. "Hurry up you idiot, get over NOW! I said I wanted Fritos not Cheetohs. Go get them you empty headed brat." And on and on it went. I didn't know how to respond to her.

For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6:45)

Did this woman realize what she was really witnessing to these people? Last year I heard a great sermon, Winsome Witnessing which I found so eye opening. I highly recommend taking some time and listening to. This woman was the embodiment of everything wrong with Christianity and Christians today. Before you open your mouth to do this as well - make sure you're not using two sides of your mouth for vastly different messages.

No comments: