Sunday, April 6, 2008

Church people suck


"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
--
Mahatma Gandhi --

Today, I really wished I had a t-shirt that said either of these things. WHY are Christians so rude to people on Sundays? I would have assumed that at least on Sundays that Christians could behave or mind their manners, and yet 98% of the rude, intolerable, impatient customers today wore crosses and Sunday clothes.

At one point, I become so fed up with the rude behavior of Christians, I wrote down Ghandi's quote above, and taped it to my register in plain sight. Needless to say, the Christian customers became every more rude, if that was even possible. For eight hours, only one person asked me about the quote I had taped to my register, the rest preferred to snap at me and tell me I was an idiot. Yes, because that will make me suddenly realize that Ghandi was totally wrong. Wake up!

I want to design a t-shirt with one of those iron on pages, wear a shirt with Ghandi's quote on it to work and see how the "Christian" customers respond to the person behind the register. Will they show grace or will they retreat into their flesh and allow their pride to come clawing out? I wanted to tell every rude Christian customer, "Don't wear that cross out in public if you're going to behave like that," I mean really, can't Christians behave decently just one day of the week?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this by accident, just wanted to let you know I appreciated the story and the comment - seems like hypocrisy is all over! Eventually, that kind of behavior comes out in almost every socio-religious environment, unfortunately. But thank you for the thoughts....