Monday, March 3, 2008

Overlooked and Handpicked

I was reading Lysa TerKeurtst's daily devotional that spoke right to my heart. It was about David - who was overlooked by everyone, his father, the Prophet Samuel, etc but HANDPICKED by God.


Sometimes I wake up on Monday mornings a little grumpy. Time to do it all again. I'll buy food that gets eaten. I'll wash clothes that get dirty again. I'll sweep floors that an hour later will be littered with crumbs.

Is there more to all this than just doing the tasks of everyday life?

Before I jumped into the normal routine this morning, I sat with Jesus. And I found some big truths as I took a little glance into David's life. Despite how others saw him, his own propensity to sin, and lack of position in his own family, David had the sweet reassurance of God and that was enough.

Overlooked by everyone else. Handpicked by God.


I love how she started this devotional! A long time ago I was blessed that I would be a blessing to my children and that I would raise them in the ways of the Lord - this has always been in my mind, but at times wonder what exactly I'm doing to bless my children and family outside the everyday needs which a monkey could handle.

But as I caught up on my podcasts and listened to the scary stories of young girls becoming the targets of cosmetic companies and sexy clothing - I realized how important my role as a woman and mother is. I am handpicked by God to be MY children's mother - I was not handpicked by God to be my neighbor's children's mother - but MY children's mother.

As my daughter's mother - I am her role model for her to be a godly wife and P31 woman, I am her comforter, I am her representative of Jesus, I am her example. As my son's mother I am the example of what he should look for in a godly wife. I teach them both compassion by example, the gospel by unspoken words, and unconditional love by living in grace instead of my flesh. Laying down my self and breathing in grace, depending on God, and drowning in the Word is what I'm supposed to do. Of course I am a fallen human being so it's easy to know the answers, but hard to apply it and live it.

As my kids' mother I have to warn them about the world - about false gods, false ideas, and build them up on the foundation of a desperate need for Jesus.

Without these much needed lessons my kids can easily fall away from Jesus and into the hands of the world - my daughter wearing makeup and dressing "sexy" at far too early an age, never knowing how to boil water without burning it as a woman, or diving in head first into whatever new fad Oprah decides to get on board with. :P They could spend a life chasing falsehoods, lies, and living lonely unsatisfying lives because without Jesus, there will always be a hole that cannot be filled, a need that is not met, a restlessness that cannot ever be rested, and an ache that never dulls. Create a whole generation of children, young adults, and finally adults like this and the world becomes a very scary place. Our children needs US, their parents to be Jesus in their lives, by actions AND words.

Our children need us to take the time daily to disciple them. In the past two weeks, I've created a new habit in our daily schedule - stepping up and training my children to be the adults - the GODLY adults that I envision them to be. For nap time we are reading for the fifth time now, "The Jesus Storybook - Every Story Whispers His Name", we sing Jesus Loves Me and then I hum it while I knit until they go to sleep. They make their beds, they pick up their bathroom, we "play cook" together - I want to make sure they mature in the important areas, and stay children as long as they can in the worldly areas.

No comments: