Thursday, March 20, 2008

Enchanted


Last night we watched the movie, Enchanted with some friends. We thought it was cute, so I played it for the kids this morning. I have a habit of viewing movies through "Christian" eyes - thinking about life lessons and how they are applicable to my Christian walk. As I was watching the very disturbing (from a clean POV) part of the movie (shown at the end of this post), the lessons inside the movie hit me.

1. Giselle is very naive. It's funny the first time you watch it with her princess squeals of surprise at everyday events we take for granted. But watching it the second time through I realized how truly priceless her naive world view was. She wasn't bitter, she was forgiving, and she looked at life as this wonderful, exciting, loving adventure. Which of course it is, but "in the real world" as Robert says, we can loose this worldview very easily. Love is forever, endings are happy, and all is as it should be. I know I can become cynical - especially when I'm babysitting 4 year olds that drive me insane. :P

2. Giselle is very committed to making the best of each of her circumstances. From her song, "A Happy Working Song"

You could do a lot when you got
Such a happy little tune to hum
While you’re sponging up the soapy scum
We adore each filthy chore
That we determine
So friends even though you’re vermin
We’re a happy working song


Wow - imagine that view. Make the best of one's circumstances, keep a grateful heart, and sing a happy song. This is something that as a SAHM that really can make a difference for a moment and/or a whole day. My whole day can be decided by what outlook I'm going to take. Am I going to adore each "filthy chore" because I know that each chore is serving Jesus? Am I going to determine to be a "happy working song"? As Steve and I read over Mr. Steady in DP's book, he told me how happy he is when I don't call him to vent - because to him that's me displaying an inability to handle everyday, mundane tasks. Imagine how that hit me. Wow - just keeping a cheery attitude makes my husband happy.

3. Giselle's outlook changed. As she stayed in the world longer, she - like Eve, changed her outlook. She went from being the typical, often mocked, Disney princess to an independent feminist. From the girl always being rescued by a man, to rescuing the man. Not that I'm against women becoming self sufficient (yet still God dependent of course) and able to handle themselves - at what point are we being strong, godly women and at what point are we becoming God? I know it's quite the leap - we see that Giselle marries someone entirely different (the cynical Robert) and keeps her positive outlook on life as we see her laughing throughout the end, she becomes industrious and uses her amazing seamstress skills to create a fashion line. But at what point, does she become, like Eve, corrupted? Where she thinks she knows best - apart from her Creator? Was this switch from naive, innocent, typical princess to to the heroin herself a part of growing up and maturing or a part of submitting to the world?


Enjoy the clip below! :)

No comments: