Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Going Green....

DH and I are both environmentalists - albeit him way more than me, but we both care about taking care of our environment. One thing that has greatly hindered us from going "green" is the cost attached. Here in GC they charge you in order to recycle. Who ever heard of such a thing? :P

Lately, we've had more luck with going green. A friend told us about a new grocery store, Fresh and Easy that was coming to town. We tried it out and loved it! We feel healthier just shopping there - sure there are still junk foods there, but they are limited. They have cute little parking spaces for hybrid cars and amazing customer service. It's an experience to shop there. We love it. :)

One of the podcasts I listen to is Albert Mohler's radio show and last week he mentioned an upcoming show on "green" moms - moms who feel it is their place to save the world and be a mother. I'm interested in seeing what he has to say on the topic. Obviously, as a Christian I do believe motherhood is my first and most important ministry - beginning in the home and expanding into the world around us, but I see nothing wrong with doing both. In fact, it seems almost insulting to perhaps think that one would have to choose between being a "Christian" mother or being "green". Is multi-tasking really that foreign of an idea to men? :? Of course I could be totally wrong in assuming the tone for the show - but after his blog and radio program, "Two Irreconcilable Worldviews", I can't help but be a little skeptical. I suppose being in a baptist background church, I should get used to the fact that people are going to look at me like I'm from Mars because I absolutely do not believe in a literal Creation (see Theistic Evolution) and that does not make me any less of a Christian and it does not hinder me from believing God - but that'll be for another blog some other time.

It seems to me, that fewer and fewer Christians are concerned or care about the environment. Not saying I'm some fanatic otherwise we'd make room in our budget to pay for recycling, we'd buy a hybrid, we'd always use E-85 gas (which is almost .30 cheaper/gallon anyways), and we'd have bought those reusable shopping bags long ago (bought my first one today).


However, I do see some great points raised by Al Gore's Inconvient Truth - which sadly a lot of religious people (and relationship ones too) have made fun of. I'm sorry, I thought God assigned us stewardship of our families, communities, and environments?

And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. (Genesis 2:15)

Yet, James Dobson instructed the Christian community that the only proper areas of concern are, "the sanctity of human life, the integrity of marriage and the teaching of sexual abstinence and morality to our children". Um, so the first thing that God did in the garden - ie, give stewardship over the care of the Earth is not important? Okay....

Lucky for us, there are more clear thinking Christians on the horizon and just a little over a year ago, the NAE changed declared that we (Christians) should be concerned about damage to God's creation. :)

About this time or perhaps a little earlier than this, I recall James Dobson actually firing someone from his ministry because they were vocally concerned about God's creation. (Edited: Thank you Belen! HERE is the link where Dobson calls for the firing of the VP Board member.) I am a bit Google disabled, so I haven't been able to pull up any links yet, but I think this is extremly interesting. It seems to me, loyalties are being misplaced into today's professional ministry. If one disagrees with a leader or God forbid their pastor, what are they supposed to do? Keep their mouth shut? Change churches? Or just go to God with it? Perhaps it's the outspoken liberal in me - but really, how are concerns going to be addressed if no one starts talking about them? What is considered "disloyal"? That Dobson went as far as to fire someone is just appalling to me. Aren't our loyalties just to be to God?

It seems to me, that time and again science and God are clashing, when really, is science the enemy or are our own opinions the enemy?

By no means would anyone ever consider me "green". I would hope that any sane person would see an empty lot littered with trash and be upset, I would hope that normal people would turn off light they are not using and open their blinds using natural light when possible. I would hope normal people would look for a trash can versus just throwing it out the window or on the ground. I would hope that normal people would be considerate of the space and environment that God has blessed them with - if only for a moment. I knit with acryrillic yarn (someone once told me it's harmful for the environment) and I don't foresee myself anytime in the future going 100% fiber.


Being green doesn't mean you're a nut that splashes red paint on people, or that you're a vegan, or that you live in a biodegradable house - it simply means taking care of what you have and the space around you, and isn't that a basic lesson in the Christian walk?

2 comments:

Belen said...

Is this the James Dobson thing you're talking about? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/02/AR2007030201442.html

Pretty concerning, to me. I like the term "creation care" used in the article. I think caring about the environment, even just making small changes, like reusable grocery bags, is a way we can show God gratitude for what He gave us.

R.

Maggie said...

Yes it is! Thank you! :) I'm going to add it to my blog now.