Monday, January 14, 2008

I've been brainwashed . . .

This past week has been crazy! I'm so exhausted but life moves on. More than ever, I'm realizing the importance of staying grounded in the Word. At work, I've been truly blessed that while I still struggle not to chuck large objects at rude customers who mouth off because they are "inconvenienced" by coming inside the store and having their ID checked when they use a credit card, I've had some truly amazing experiences.

Side note: If you go inside a gas station and use a credit card - you still have to place an amount, no we cannot just "open" the pump and no amount of swearing, yelling, screaming, spitting, or other vulgarities can change that. So please, if you go inside and the attendant tells you something, please believe them - after all, they are the ones working there. ;)

Back on track - I realized a long time ago how important it was that I focus on God throughout my days at the counter otherwise I'd go insane. Now with my awesome Sandisk and the increased storage, I can store tons of worship music (along with a little Lincoln Park...) and all my daily podcasts and sermons that I download. Which really puzzles the customers at our store, "Is today Sunday?" I smile and say, "Everyday is a day of worship for the Lord".

To the guys in the back - who had NO interest whatsoever in doing Bible studies with me, I've become the "different girl" and also, who they are bringing their spiritual questions. Who would have thought it? Six months after totally rejecting my bible studies, they are now bringing me their questions and Bibles and asking for my help. What a huge blessing.

One customer inquired, "Are there new owners?"

"No, why?"

She explained she had never heard any Christian stuff in the store before and something was just different. That's how the guys now describe me as well - different, nice, that Jesus girl.

On the other hand, discussions about the cross are heating up dramatically within the online community, so it was a bit shocking to hear Papau repeating almost word for word the same lines of thought on Saturday. In his office (as well as the one I work in) is a computer system that hooks up to all the cameras throughout the store - including sound for the counter. So, unless he muted his monitor, he was listening to all the same sermons I was. Finally, in the middle of a sermon about the importance of the daily application of the cross, Papau comes out and says, "Why are letting yourself get so brainwashed over this cross business?"

What does the Bible say?

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
1 Cor 1:18

Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.
Gal 5:11


So I'll hold my tongue, take a step back, and meditate on the Word - and simply pray for the wisdom to speak to Papau about the cross.


No comments: