Saturday, December 22, 2007

Talking about God

Today we celebrated Christmas with Steve's parents and older brother, Rob. All three are atheists. It was a great day - I managed to pull off a Christmas mini-scale spread, maintain some order, and remain awake until 1:30 pm at which point I drifted off to sleep.

At some point in the day - which point I don't recall, I overheard a conversation between my three year old - Paul, and Steve's mom.

"Mommy and Daddy pray to God, grandma." He looked very serious while saying this to her.

Quietly, "Yes, they do pray to God,"

"They love God,"

"Yes honey, they love God."

Then the interaction moved back to the new toys and all the yummy goodies she had brought to our home.

But I was in awe - sure, my son didn't understand all the difficulties of speaking to Steve's mother about God - but here he was plunging right into it. It was so amazing to watch this little guy who loves his grandma so much, to just take a minute and talk to her about God.

No comments: