Tuesday, November 27, 2007

†Bring it to the cross†

†Bring it to the cross†

I have an amazing mentor and solid leadership to help me out in our church (they are ever so patient with me, amazing). In a sermon I listened to on child rearing, the pastor makes the statement, "bring it to the cross". Confused by this, I made a point to speak with Barbie about it the next time we talked. She explained it to me, made perfect sense, and didn't have any questions about it.

Yet, as I've pondered this, I can't help but still be slightly confused. Not about the concept - makes sense, and she explained it well. But how on earth to enable this or put it into action? Prayer comes to mind (as that's what she explained) but really, it still goes beyond me on how enable the cross and leave things at the cross in my personal life. I don't know why I'm not getting it - it sounds very simple, but I just don't get it. How can my head totally understand the logic but the rest of me still be standing there, "duh... huh?" open mouth, slack jawed...

So, for those of you who read this blog, would you be so kind as to leave scriptures, links to sermons, personal stories - whatever you have or care to share about enabling the cross. I'm sure I must have enabled it in order to begin walking with Jesus, but since the line has become blurred about whether that was when I was LDS or not I am doubtful I understand - really understand how to enable to the cross. Or maybe, it's just my legalism coming into play thinking, "Prayer? That's it? Perhaps a certain prayer or maybe a particular ritual?" I want to wrap my head and heart around this, but just can't seem to. Help please!

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Maggie!

I wanted to tell you that I am still very much enjoying your blog, feel encouraged to keep up the good work.

For me the following portion of Scripture sits in my memory bank as a constant reminder of priorities in this regard…
32 "Whoever publicly acknowledges me I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever publicly disowns me I will disown before my Father in heaven.
34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 your enemies will be the members of your own household.'
37 "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves a son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
40 "Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes someone known to be a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and whoever welcomes someone known to be righteous will receive a righteous person's reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is known to be my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly be rewarded."
- -Matthew 10:32-42 (TNIV)

I hope this is of some help, ask if you would like a more detailed explanation.

By the way I am wondering if you found the little “gift” I left you on my Life on the Blade “Graffiti” article “The Faces of December”…

Take care sister…

Maggie said...

Thank you for those verses. They are great. :) I've been peeking in at your blog - but admittedly don't have as much time as I used to to read other's blogs. :P Anyways, I made some time to read through it better and was so pumped to see Grace Point linked. Yay! I love the blog all together - it's wonderful. :) Thanks for remembering me.