Sunday, October 21, 2007

Taking the PLuNge

Tonight was my Uncle Jim's birthday. Time flies. His wife, my Aunt Grace, just was baptized into the LDS church in August. A few Christmases ago, my parents got my kids the Living Scriptures Animated Book of Mormon series - it's about 13 DVDs with Activity books. Christians perhaps are more familiar with their Old and New Testament series that also have activity books. Knowing that I might tell my family about leaving the LDS church, I've decided to bring the dvds with me to give to my Aunt Melanie's family.


At the end of the night, I offered Melanie the DVDs - I didn't offer an explanation - but simply asked her if she wanted them. When I brought them into her, she asked why I was giving them to her. Here I came to my crossroads - should I sidestep the question or should I be honest? "I don't need them, and Mamau is always talking about how your videos are getting worn out."

Of course God wasn't going to let me off the hook that easy. I'd invited the door to be opened, so here it was and it was opening. "Why don't you need them? Do you have copies?"

Is there a rewind button on life? "No. I'm cleaning out our house and wanted you to have them. Steve and I left the LDS church and we don't want them anymore."

Oh crap - did I just say that? Did I really just say that? Pinch yourself Amanda - you do realize you are speaking with Melanie right? Melanie is my biological mother's sister, she's Mamau's daughter and best friend, and devout, hard core - extremely knowledgeable LDS. If I had a question about Mormonism - she'd be the one I'd ask. Attended BYU so has college level religion classes under belt. Indoctrinated for decades at this point. I don't think I've ever asked her a question she couldn't answer. Fiercely protective of her family and someone who (as a rebellious teen) I used to passionately hate and now sincerely love and care for. And I just told her that I left the LDS church.


It came up that I hadn't told Mamau and Papau yet and then the topic changed.

This next week will be interesting. Right now, our Pastor is presenting a series about Jonah. Steve says in comparision to today's sermon, I'm in the storm and was just thrown overboard. Perhaps God forgot that I don't swim very well? And what will be my whale? :p

2 comments:

The Bass Player's Wife said...

Wow. You didn't waste any time putting Devin's words to action! And here I sit, trying to get up the gumption to really ask God what it is He wants from me right now... Blessings, Kelly

Livingsword said...

Hi Maggie;

Although Jonah kept trying to not pass along the message God had told him to tell God still placed Jonah in the position that he did what was required.

Jonah didn’t want to tell the message because he didn’t want his enemies to know God…Jonah’s intent was bad…yet these people are people you love…it must be so very challenging to be in this position….when I first became a follower of Jesus (late 20’s) after a life of extreme hedonism it was also a challenge for me to tell my family, at first they didn’t believe me but then they saw what God did in transforming me. They knew me before and understood that there was no way it could just be me changing me. Many of them became followers of Jesus because of this.

You and yours are in my wife and my prayers…

Maggie…sister…you are a hero of mine…

You are very much appreciated…

…I have passed along an award to you, come by and pick it up at Life on the Blade under the article…

Celebrity Bloggers! Bloggers that have made me a fan…
(Sunday Oct 21)