Sunday, October 28, 2007

Head Covering

" 3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head."
1 Cor 11:3-10




This is a sensitive topic for me at times, and I've really wanted to blog about it lately. Since Halloween 2006, I've been covering my head. When able, I cover it in some form or another daily. Whether that be through a bandanna, hat, or head scarf. The problem is, in our modern day culture - covering one's head, is not exactly popular or pleasing to the eye. Add to that, that as a Christian it appears odd to someone that I would be covering my head as Jesus has set me free and I'm no longer under the law.

However, as I sought God daily, I felt more and more moved upon to cover my head as I sat in devotion or prayer to Him. After beginning to attend GP - Steve requested that I simply wear a bandanna so as not to appear "odd" to anyone. I have been trying to be more initial about being submissive to my husband (another unpopular idea in a Feminist World) and so when he requested this, I wanted to be obedient. As the summer hit, I cut my hair short and cute and put aside my desire to be obedient to God with daily covering and found my hair uncovered more and more.

At times, I would feel very convicted to cover my head - and yet ignore it. One time, I was volunteering for a community event with GP and didn't want to possibly embarrass my husband so I went cover less - and ran into a Muslim woman with the most beautiful head scarf I had ever seen. I wanted to talk with her - she had two preschool aged children and her family looked friendly, yet I was uncovered, in a tank top, and shorts. Briefly - I was not dressed modestly in accordance to her standards and didn't feel able to approach her because of this. A second time, while spending my day at the Social Security office shortly after loosing my driver's license, I felt very convicted to "dress modestly" (in Jewish and Muslim standards this means at least a 3/4 length sleeve, ankle reaching skirt or pants, up to the neckline covered, and head covered). Yet I ignored this prompting as I didn't want to discomfort myself during the heat of the summer (head coverings can be very uncomfortable in already heated climates). While there, I noticed a Muslim woman covered. This time, after pacing back and forth outside a few times and regardless that I was again in shorts and a tank top with a cross hanging from my neck, I went ahead and approached her. The discussion went well and I blogged about my interaction with her earlier back in July.

Recently, I felt strongly convicted to properly cover my head before heading to work last week. Now that the "news" is out with my family, I don't fear by myself as much as I did prior to having the talk with them. With the other two times I disobeyed in the front of my mind, this time I dressed "properly" - long sleeve shirt, pants, and covered my head with my favorite long rectangle scarf.




And it was during this time, that Ron came in and spoke with me about hitting rock bottom. And for the first time ever, I was able to firmly say what had been on my mind but holding back. He always returns to his good works and how others look up to him. He keeps returning to how he is working for his salvation. I finally was able to remind him that it isn't his works that save him - it's his relationship with Jesus. His belief - or perhaps faith - in God being real and a relationship something achievable seems to be growing. At the end of the night, he tearfully prayed for God to be with him. It was quite amazing.

God has been re-establishing my faith in Him and helping me with my "unbelief". My conviction to cover my head to show obediance to God's authority in my life is renewed.

4 comments:

olga said...

I feel very similar at times and debate whether I should wear a head covering most of the time. It definitely can be very liberating, but I have to admit it can be a little scary, plus I do not want to be confused with a Muslim woman.

O2bcloser2him said...

Wonderful blog on head covering. More and more christian women are feeling drawn to obedience in this area. I too struggled with it. I was obedient for a while and then quit. People do not realize how really difficult it is to be obedient to such a small thing. Since then the Lord has been leading me to create a specific order of christian women who believe along these lines. I hope you will stop by my blog. (I am just starting it up)

Anita Ann said...

Beautiful post!

A Covered Sister said...

Hey there! I am another young woman who is trying to be obedient to God in this. As of now, I cover during Christian assemblies, and prayer time, but I am seeking God on full time coverings. I am so excited to see your blog! Where is your update, girl? Update, update! ;-)