Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Birthday Cake


Yesterday was Steve's birthday and our neighbor's Greg and Jamie invited us over for a taco dinner. Jamie and I have been excited to try Jessica Seinfeld's recipes from her new book, Deceptively Delicious which was previewed on Oprah (not a fan myself - but I recorded the episode to see what the whole fuss was about on this book). Jerry Seinfeld referred to this particular cake recipe as a "last meal" - he could eat this and be ready to have the switch flipped. :P

So I decided to try it out. I made the family the chocolate cake that was fortified with beets. I took some pictures along the way. Along with the end results. I've ordered Jessica's book from Aliante library (I'm number 21 on the waiting list) as well as The Sneaky Chef. If anyone wants to join me some Saturday in trying out multiple recipes, let me know.

Slowly melting the chocolate for the cake.







Just added the beet purree to the batter.


Added the melted chocolate and now baking.



The finished cake.



All the kids wanting to just dig in!



Paul wants the cake now.



Paul having a slice of "Daddy birthday cake".


This morning, the first thing the kids asked for was more birthday cake. Two adults - Jamie and I, both knew what was in the cake and we loved it. The men - Greg and Steve, had no idea until they had almost finished their first slice and they both enjoyed it. Overall, it was a hit. The beet chocolate cake is a healthy alternative that my kids and my big kid loves. I loved being able to pull out my dusty cake decorating kit that I purchased almost two years ago and make Steve's cake look all "pretty" (okay, pretty bad, but it's the effort that counts right?).


No comments: