Wednesday, September 26, 2007

General Conference Time!

I can't believe it's been six months already! Time just flies by! Last Sunday I was really blessed to sing with seven other people from the musical RENT's "SEASON'S of LOVE" (I'll link it for you later) - I measure time by a lot of things and in a lot of ways - but it's been about two weeks shy now of six months since Steve and I first stepped foot in Grace Point. Not a lot has changed at GP since we tried it out that first Sunday - they were backwards then and there was a boat on stage, but they change stage sets with each series so that's understandable. :) Yesterday when my Visiting Teacher's were here and they invited me to this weekend's General Relief Society broadcast and dinner at the church I realized it's been almost six months. And I saw an opening perhaps to talk my parents about what the Lord has done in our lives. Each conference, Mamau and I talk about the talks and how they impact us.

Very briefly, for those of you unfamiliar with what I'm talking about here - each year the LDS church had two semiannual General Conferences - one in April and one in October - both are the first weekends of the month. Right now, the church is gearing up for their 177th Semiannual General Conference held in Salt Lake City, Utah. There are two sessions each day (Saturday and Sunday) and then a Priesthood Session Saturday night that can only be viewed at a LDS church stake center (perhaps also at a ward center for branches but it's been over 9 years since I've been in a branch so please excuse me if this is inaccurate for smaller areas - the point is you can't access the Priesthood session from your home - ONLY from a LDS church). There is also a General Relief Society shortly before General Conference as well. During General Conference, there are no block meetings on Sunday (block meetings are Sunday meetings - Sacrament, Sunday School, Priesthood, Relief Society, Young Men, Young Women, Primary, etc). Fast Sundays are pushed back to the following Sunday or are held the last Sunday of the month before General Conference things like that. Anyways, General Conference has speakers from general leadership prepare talks on various topics and speak during these two days. The more devout I became, the more I felt these talks applied towards my life. For example, my last General Conference - this past April, I had attended Grace Point and Pastor Devin had spoken about the storms of life and how we don't see Jesus but we have to get out of the boat if the Lord commands us to and have faith. Then we went home and listened to only three talks out of two days of conferences and those three talks discussed: Are we Christians?, This Day, and The Things of Which I know.


I remember feeling as if the Lord were telling us to stay in the LDS church - but not feeling as if it were the true church. Just to stay put. As if Pastor Devin's message was that Jesus was with us, we just didn't see Him and the messages at conference confirmed them.

And after conference ended that day, Mamau and I talked about conference and what we took from it - although, I will admit I did leave out the bit about the church we visited that morning.

I think by setting a goal of telling them around General Conference I move forward towards it instead of just waiting and waiting. I can think of reasons why this might not be the best time to do it, but it's when we always discuss our faith - so why not bear testimony of my faith?

No comments: