Wednesday, July 25, 2007

High Places

Beth Moore's study, "Liberty in Christ" is really speaking to me. Today's study was about our heroes in life. It reminded me that God is supposed to be first, second, and third. He is to be our all.

What really interested me, was Moore's commentary on 2 Kings 15:34-35:

" He did what was right in the LORD's sight just as his father Uzziah had done. Yet, the high places were not taken away; the people continued sacrificing and burning incense on the high places." (Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Now read her commentary on the verses:

"Jotham sought God faithfully and walked steadfastly before Him, but he refused to demand respect for the One and only God. Jotham was boss. He could have destroyed the high places, but he obviously feared the people more than he feared God. Jotham conquered nations, but he refused to rule his own people. He chose to overlook a terribly grievous sin." (Bolding and italics mine.)

What did this say to me? It tells me that in our lives, our homes, our families - we are to give God the respect that He rightly deserves. When Isaiah had a vision of the Lord, he was confronted with his own sin and declares that his lips are unclean and confesses his sins before the Lord. However, afterwards, what did Isaiah do? He obeyed.

Awhile ago, the Lord made me aware of how much LDS stuff I have in my home and I felt the need to clean up. I began thinking of options of what to do with everything - gave away a few items. But after reading these passages and commentary, I realized that I had not obeyed and the Lord wants me to take down my "high places". The day of our baptism, another former Mormon was telling me about her sister - who after a long time of keeping everything, finally allowed her husband to burn it all. Egh! This makes me cringe! Besides the book lover in me who thinks it's outright obscene to burn books, I couldn't fathom burning the books that progressed me in my journey, taught me in LDS doctrine, and so forth. Yet, it's right there - the reason the people were corrupt was because Jotham failed to tear down the high places.

I'll have to seek the Lord in prayer to come to a resolution - but all I know is that the Lord is calling me to a simpler, cleaner, life that clearly makes Him number one, ruler, and Soveriegn God. I have to take out the falsehoods that have been residing in my life and truely make our home a place set apart from the gospel, foriegn in the world we live in.

No comments: