Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Foolish or Bold?

During my quiet time today, I was reading from Proverbs 18-20. I wasn't sure why - but for some reason, I could not put it out from my mind and kept returning to it.
Proverbs 18

6 A fool's lips bring him strife,
and his mouth invites a beating.

7 A fool's mouth is his undoing,
and his lips are a snare to his soul.



Finally, baby arrived for the last time (until end of August at least - she wouldn't let me quit ).

I recently told her that Steve and I were not LDS anymore and hadn't been for a little while now. She was a bit surprised - but was not bothered. Today, I reminded her that Steve and I are getting baptized this Sunday, gave her a flyer for our church, and asked her and her family to come. She took it and then asked, "So why did you leave the church?"

With everyone else I've been softening my words, trying to be kind, and trying my best to sidestep the whole, "true or false" conversation. Today, before I knew what I had said I evenly replied, "Because it's false."

I was registering the look of shock on her face before I began to understand what I had just said. So I went into "soften" mode and tried to cushion what I had bluntly said. "We didn't originally leave because it's false, we left because the Lord was calling us elsewhere. Later, while reading the Bible we suddenly realized it was false. Which sucks, because I really loved Relief Society and the temple." I chuckled - and I was the only one doing it.

Before she left, I assured her that I wasn't angry with the church and recognized God working through it. I reminded her that Steve was a hardcore atheist and that the Lord planted seeds for him as a child to accept the LDS missionaries, through friendships with LDS children. She was pretty quiet about the whole thing. I don't know what she's thinking since she didn't rise to defend the church nor did she ask more questions. Here's hoping that she attends our baptism and church services.

On my mind now - was I bold for the Lord or foolish with an uncontrolled tongue?

Proverbs 13:5
The righteous hate what is false,

No comments: